Traffic Alert: Road Closures For Weekend | Events
MONTEREY COUNTY – Here are the major scheduled road and lane closures for the areas between Salinas and North Monterey County between Saturday, May 21 and Tuesday, May 31:
Union Pacific Railroad Track Work in Castroville: May 21 - 23
- The Union Pacific Railroad will close the crossing at Blackie Rd in Castroville between Saturday, May 21 through Monday, May 23. Alternative routes have been designated for commercial trucks, business deliveries and commuters.
- An information Hotline with latest roadwork information has been created and can be accessed by calling (831) 755-5060.
- Additional information can be obtained by accessing Department of Public Works’ web site at
Union Pacific Railroad Track Work in Salinas: May 23 - 27
- Union Pacific Railroad will close the crossing at John St. in Salinas (between Spring St and Work St) to do some safety upgrades. This will be a full closure – Caltrans will provide signs to guide travelers through the suggested detour route. With the Salinas Valleys' agricultural production in full swing, and that truck traffic is heavy in these areas, travelers are advised to please anticipate periods of congestion during these times.
Airport Blvd. Interchange Project: May 23 – May 26
- Bridge work for the Highway 101/Airport Blvd. Interchange Project will be result in a full closure of Hwy. 101 in both directions at Airport Blvd from 9 pm to 6 am for three nights from May 23 – May 26.
- Motorists headed northbound will be detoured at Abbott Street to Sanborn Road before reaching Hwy. 101.
- Motorists headed southbound will be detoured at Sanborn Road to Abbott Street before reaching Hwy. 101.
Prunedale Improvement Project: May 23 – 31
- PG&E will close one lane of Blackie Rd., from Hwy 101 to Prunedale South Rd., to relocate a gas main. This work will start immediately after the Union Pacific track crossing in Castroville is reopened and go to 7 pm on May 23; it will take place between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, May 24 - 27.
- PG&E will also be relocating a gas main on Echo Valley Rd.; this work will result in a temporary lane closure on Echo Valley Rd. May 23 – 25.
- Caltrans will close the following, between the hours of 7:30 p.m. and 6 a.m., May 23 – May 26:
- One Northbound lane, between Russell/Espinosa and Ralph Ln.
- One Southbound lane between Ralph Ln. and Russell/Espinosa
- One Northbound lane between San Miguel Canyon Rd and Tustin Rd.
- One Southbound lane between San Miguel Canyon Rd and Tustin Rd
- The Northbound San Miguel Canyon on-ramp
- The Northbound San Miguel Canyon off-ramp
- The Southbound San Miguel Canyon off-ramp
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Deadline approaches to file candidacy paperwork
- CHP offering driver safety programs in Santa Cruz County
- Faith-based community holds prayer vigil amid immigration crisis
- Santa Cruz Police PRIDE Program, BASTA get $25,000 donation
- Suspected car thief sought by authorities in Santa Cruz, Monterey counties